(SOURCE) Adjectives — descriptive words that modify nouns — often come under fire for their cluttering quality, but often it’s quality, not quantity, that is the issue. Plenty of tired adjectives are available to spoil a good sentence, but when you find just the right word for...
Based on the relevant factors, [Marissa] Alexander did act in self-defense when she fired the warning shots, but because of the improper jury instruction the first trial resulted in a conviction. At her second trial, she is expected to have a much better chance to prevail because an appropriate application of the self-defense factors may flip the jury in Alexander’s favor. Angela Corey also has the power to set Alexander free for good by dismissing the charges, instead of going to trial a second time. That’s what Alexander’s supporters are asking for and the public pressure on Corey will be intense between now and the beginning of the second trial.
Public pressure, and not what takes place in the courtroom, may set Alexander free before or after a second trial. The media attention may force Corey to do the right thing and let Alexander out of prison permanently to get on with her life. A second jury may be familiar with some aspects of the case because of what’s been reported in the media and they may be more sympathetic to her defense than the first jury.
The question is whether either Angela Corey or the second jury will finally view Marissa Alexander as a victim, who had the right to defend herself from an abusive husband and who doesn’t deserve prison.
By all accounts, Marissa Alexander will need an active grassroots movement to help her win an acquittal at her new trial next spring. Help her win the re-trial by donating to the Marissa Alexander Freedom Fundraiser!
High-magnification cross section of an aloe plant
Aloe has been used for thousands of years—tracing all the way back to Egypt 6,000 years ago—to heal wounds and burns. This particular micrograph shows cells from Aloe erinacea, an aloe plant native to Namibia that is endangered due to habitat loss. Large, blue cells in the center are called xylem: they conduct water from the roots to the leaves. The small, circular clusters of cells are called phloem: they transport food made by the leaves to the rest of the plant.
Image by Anatoly Mikhaltsov.
Chicago: Chinatown, Late 1920s - 1930s
Movie star Anna May Wong, circa March 24, 1928.
Anna May Wong, right, and Lulu Wong, circa March 24, 1928
Anna May Wong rocking the sweet travelling suit with gaucho capri pants and necktie.
Marissa is home for now! We’re so excited! Thank you so much, amazing supporters! Your help has been crucial, brilliant, rageful, and clear! You helped bring her home.
The work is NOT OVER! We have a trial to help win. Marissa’s re-trial is set to begin 3/31/14 and will cost over $250,000. PLEASE DONATE! We want to raise $20K by Dec 31st. We can do it!
Rites of Passage:
The November issue of Vogue India spotlights wedding style in this shoot photographed by Signe Vilstrup of Tomorrow Management. Models Kelly Gale, Gita Gale, Manu Bohra, Mariette Valsan, Nidhi Suni, Natalia Rassa, Anirudh Singh Kanecha, Chander Shekhar Bissa, Raghunath Singh Aaktali and Goverdhan Pareekh take on the role of the wedding party in traditional looks fit for an extravagant affair.
Aya Kamikawa: Why she kicks ass
- She is the only openly transgender official in Japan at this point, and the first to seek or win elected office in Japan.
- She won a four-year term as an independent under huge media attention, placing sixth of 72 candidates running for 52 seats in the Setagaya ward assembly, the most populous district in Tokyo. In April 2007, she was re-elected to her second term, placing second of 71 candidates running for 52 in the same ward assembly.
- While the government announced that they would continue to consider her male officially, she stated that she would work as a woman.
- She is devoted to work for various groups, the disabled, single-parent families, homeless people to evening junior high school students, LGBT people and to improve rights for women, children, the elderly. She strives to give support for these people and bring positive changes which would help them in society.
- She was also a committee member for Trans-net Japan (a self-support group for transgender people) and organised meetings and social events to give support and symposiums to raise the public awareness.